One Five

It has been nearly twenty years since I was a fifteen year old with acne, glasses and braces.
Twenty years since reading that green felt tip penned on a desk that tilted my world.
"will you go out with me?"

You traced the space you wanted a ring to sit on my wedded finger.
We were in a classroom, cleaners sweeping the concrete floors around us.

I smiled and shrugged.
Inside I knew it couldn't possibly happen.

We were kids.

This was the beginning of learning not to listen to reason.
For fifteen years over we have celebrated reason defied.

We did marry,
on a scorching African morning
in a tiny school chapel.
I carried creamy buds of tuber roses and vivid magnolias,
wore tulle and slipper satin.

We were kids.

That was before we had lived on 3 continents.
Before we had 3 children,
a big waggy dog,
and an impressive collection of suitcases,
hellos and goodbyes.

That was before we came face to face
with the grown up versions of who we have turned out to be.

I didn't write an anniversary post on the real day,
as I wanted to have the words to say
the things I felt.

But the more I know about life,
the more I realise I don't know.

Some things are unutterable.
They refuse to be herded into sentiments.

Somethings just are.

You, my dear, are one of those.
You have slipped beyond my language grasp
to live under the breath of my heart.

You are bone of my bone.
And I am who I am because you are.

Do we always see eye to eye?
Nope.
Do I like that?
Yep.
Am I sorry for the silly stuff?
So much.

Do I love you?

Very. Madly. Deeply.



'Came but for friendship, and took away love.'

Thomas Moore


Fiona  – (April 17, 2011 at 9:56 AM)  

Beautiful Amy, absolutely beautiful.

Widge  – (April 17, 2011 at 11:36 AM)  

wow

and I'd LOVE to see a pic of you both at 15 :)

Simoney  – (April 20, 2011 at 8:26 AM)  

Amazing.
Amazing.
You are a true poet.
And such a romantic story.
Yes please the picture of you both at 15 would be precious!
x

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Copyright - Amy Lynas

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP