Wet Market Wednesday

There are plenty of gorgeous supermarkets in Asia,
where you can buy just about everything your heart could desire...for a price.

We live very close to one that is probably one of the most upmarket
and I must confess, occasionally I enjoy popping down to choose a chunk of melty brie to serve with Maggie Beer Plum Paste and Crackerthins.



Knowing I can buy Easter chocolate,
or Christmas advent calendars,
or gluten-free bread,
Waitrose Kenya tea or Jaffa Orange curd is nice.

But there's the everyday kind of stuff still to get.

I usually get it delivered to my home by a grocery supply company.
The owners ring each morning and ask if I have any orders.
They are great for fresh fruit and vegetables and always stock vegemite,
that life essential.
They deliver the bulky stuff, like cereal boxes and milk,
bread and toilet paper.

But I run up against a problem with meat.
It is so expensive that I can barely justify looking at it.

Beef and Lamb can cost between $45 and $80 a kilo.

So I went from this


to this.










The Tekka Market on Buffalo Road in Little India is a riot of colour and sounds.
My neighbour and I dodged the crowds, stepped over puddles of who knows what,
haggled and picked and came away with a rather heavy trundler full of meat and vegetables.

Afterwards we chose a local Indian Muslim shophouse restaurant and despite the suspiciously dingy interior, enjoyed skewers of spicy meat and lukewarm water served in metal cups.

Then home to roast that leg of lamb and eat it around a family table lit by candles :)

Life constantly surprises me with its contrasts. I am learning to blend.

Gail  – (February 19, 2011 at 2:45 PM)  

LOVE IT ALL and just can't wait. I have such an open, deluttered mind about going now - am slightly surprised at just how open an decluttered it is! God's plan. I love the contrast you show here of the two. Adventures to be had!

Melinda  – (February 19, 2011 at 3:49 PM)  

I am so so proud of you! You are learning my extra special expat!

Sj  – (February 19, 2011 at 8:41 PM)  

Love this post Amy, you had me captured from the word 'go'! thanks for sharing your contrasts, love you my friend. I am in love with the tea bag and card this week, thank u xx i am forever hopeful my travels will land me in singapore one day and not just the local places round here.

Fiona  – (February 20, 2011 at 1:09 AM)  

Well, I'm still a little astounded that you can have groceries delivered to you door, let alone contemplating red meat at $45 to $80 per kilo!!!
What marvellous opportunities you have at your doorstep though. What a cultural delight!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Copyright - Amy Lynas

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP