And 3 slips through...

I am
adrift
in love sea.


Feet not touching the floor
of an ocean
that both floats and drags me,


beyond shores where I know the time,
or have an idea of which way is north.
All I am is tossed
drenched
gasping
in this endlessness
of being a mother to 3.


And with this last one,
I try to cup her babyhood in mortal hands
but not unlike the river that is life
it streams through knuckles,
unrepentant of my sentiment.


Both terrified and delighted I watch it flow.

It is going so fast.

Happy 3rd Birthday my sweet child,
one inquired of by prayer

I love you.
I love you.
I love you.

MKH, you are a chatty wee lady, big questions. What is God Daddy?
Your favourite colour is blue, like the sky you say.
Your favourite animal you told me today is a giraffe. Yesterday I think it might have been a pig.
To eat, you are very particular: yoghurt with no bits, original rice crackers, flavoured milk. Nutella sandwiches with the 'skins' cut off, watermelon with no seeds, pasta with no sauce, broccoli by the bucket (you steal everyone else's), baby carrots, pumpkin soup, egg whites.
You do not eat fruit. Nor honey, egg yolk or soft cheese.
You still love to go out for a fluffy (called a babychino in Singapore) at a cafe and know which one is Starbucks.
Your legs are getting long.
You show zero signs of being interested in potty training.
You can draw all sorts of things and know all your colours, including grey, purple and gold.
You like to bake. Especially when it comes to the mixing part. You tell me you are a 'good helper'.
You are 3 and wear size 6 clothes.
You are left handed and can use scissors extremely well. I bought you little lefty ones which I see you have managed to work with your right hand.
You know all the shapes, oval included.
You like stickers very much. And puzzles. You make shapes of people out of blocks, instead of building towers.
You have a voracious appetite for watching kids tv.
Your ear for music is becoming even more apparent, you can hum a tune after hearing it once. You enjoy your big sister's songs, loving to listen to their ipods and request certain cd tracks when we are in the car. You want to play a sitar when you grow up, you tell me.
You insist on listening to Baby Mozart music for dreaming every single night when we tuck you in. Of course, Bubba and Piglet are still right there, one under each arm and your orange sippy cup of milo, every night the same ritual.
You want to be a mummy when you grow up, and marry your daddy, he is your hero.
You run and hide under your bedclothes every time he comes home from work, and when your sisters come home from school too.
You say 'bup-rise!' instead of surprise.
And 'muz-gik' for music.
I now automatically say buprise and muzgik too.

You are content, patient, steady and cheerful. Having you as a little buddy has been such a priviledge. You are off to preschool for the first time next month, and as much as I will enjoy watching you learn and grow, I will be bereft. You are a delight my sweetie.

RockWallaby  – (September 21, 2010 at 8:45 AM)  

Happy Birthday beautiful girl.
I understand Amy.
I watch mine grow, and am fearful of the process.
I want them to always be by my side.
Enjoy every moment.

Simoney  – (September 21, 2010 at 9:22 AM)  

Ohhh happy birthday Mishie!!!
This is (AS ALWAYS) beautiful Ames!
xx

Sarah (Chez Lee)  – (September 21, 2010 at 10:43 AM)  

Ah, what a beautiful tribute to your gorgeous girl.

Gail  – (September 21, 2010 at 1:15 PM)  

Oh gorgeous Mishie.... You know I have a soft spot for you, little cutie! Happy birthday.... but let's knock the whole sitar playing on the head now huh?

lovely Ames!

Cassandra Frear  – (September 24, 2010 at 1:41 AM)  

Just posted a link to this on Twitter. :-)

Kelly Langner Sauer  – (September 24, 2010 at 1:42 AM)  

I saw this last night - so beautiful.

Thank you for sharing you both.

Penny  – (September 25, 2010 at 6:32 PM)  

O I loved this post! It IS such a privilege to be a mom. She sounds like a delightful little girl

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Copyright - Amy Lynas

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP