Little Joys

My little people have been poorly.

For over a week,

high fevers, croup, coughs and general misery.

This has coincided with a 2 week trip away to stay with extended family

while the Big Guy has been away on business in Singapore.

Flights, suitcases, panadol, menthol chest rub, broken nights and tears.

 

May 2010 376

 

But it is not even remotely tempting to feel pitiful.

And after I have poured medicine, wiped faces and re-settled their fiery, shivery limbs,

I crawl back into my makeshift single bed in my mom’s second lounge

and send a rousing mental chorus of gratitude.

 

May 2010 375 

Because of this.

Because I am not a parent of a child who fights for life,

week after month after year.

My waking hours in the dark are spent wrestling a prayer

for yet another family

who are walking the hospital corridors of the desperate journey

of waiting for a miracle.

And in the light of my babies’ eyes,

I see theirs.

And I am gripped by both sorrow and celebration.

tues2603

RockWallaby  – (June 9, 2010 at 11:10 AM)  

Amy, your words are so true.
I've had two littlies not well this week as well, but could not imagine the torture of sitting by a hospital bed watching a little one fight for life. How, as parents we'd so gladly take their place. Pray we never have to go there.

Gail  – (June 9, 2010 at 10:12 PM)  

have thought often of you since Sunday Ames. Hope you are getting the rest that you need too. x

Widge  – (June 9, 2010 at 10:18 PM)  

totally puts everything into perspective.
beautiful post as always

Manda  – (June 10, 2010 at 2:33 PM)  

I have a saying that I'll say to myself in my so-called hard moments... it could always be better, but it could always be way worse.
I love your perspective... not many possess such an outlook.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Copyright - Amy Lynas

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP