There's a man in the mirror...

I mean being a chic is fun and all that, and I'm not ashamed to say I am as girly as the rest of them. I tend to believe that being fragrant, wearing beauty and the carrying of womanhood is inbuilt into who we are. For me personally, Vera Wang, ghd, jewellery and lipgloss are every day tools of the trade that sit on my counter top.


But there seems to be an intensifying search for something further in the mirror. A dogged and obsessive pursuit of the latest, wonder-working cosmetic, fashion or trend. Under the primer and concealer though, I am hearing more and more, the lines of a well versed story echoed by some of the women in life around me.
Mirror, mirror, on the wall, who's the fairest of them all?

I suppose markers of insecurity have existed throughout the ages, in the eyes of each young girl becoming aware of herself.

Am i really lovely? Am i really wanted? Where do i fit in?

These markers can resurface frequently throughout the course of our lives, for the nervous bride or the anxious teen at prom; for the mothers with toddlers hanging off their legs as they make quicksilver decisions for clothing purchases in front of store mirrors, or for the truth of dressing table mirrors that reveal the stamp of age on our skin.

Mirrors don't lie, but cause us, in unconsious essential femininity, to try to touch the heritage behind the reflection.

Who am i really? Am i wanted?

We know, deep down that they do tell terrible lies. But they only reflect what we think is the truth. And there meeting our worried, searching gaze, is in fact, our worried, searching gaze.

There is a way though, to reflect the truth, and this is done by the gentle art of having a make-over of the heart.

When love softens lines, and grace defines lineage, we grow beautiful without even looking.
Attitude becomes the adornment and confidence becomes the poise.

Another miracle unfolds that has nothing to do with Lancome.

And a smile, as this girly-girl thinks God has quite a strong feminine side. He crafted the quirk of our questioning minds and I love it that He sits in the space between us and our reflection, a stop-gap that puts a finality to the never-ending search to be seen.

For is it not true that God loves to live in our mirrors? Is He living in yours?

Hagar gave this name to the LORD who spoke to her:
You are the God who sees me.

Genesis 16:13a

sarah  – (March 29, 2010 at 4:28 PM)  

beautiful post - and I love what you've done with the photo!

Gail  – (March 29, 2010 at 9:01 PM)  

I do love this post my friend. I love it!
I find myself happier with the inside me than the outside me....it's like two worlds colliding. How can I be content with the work He's done in me and not happy with who I see in the mirror? The girly side of me has become more "there" as Olivia is growing.... she inspires a need in me to wear skirts... dresses (if I can find any I like!!).... and age is now inspiring me to think about wearing concealer and the rest.... it's all still a thought! I'd love a GHD... but it's cheaper to just go with what I have! haha.

I love this thought.... "He sits in the space between us and our reflection"..... I need to open my eyes! And I need to see what HE sees....
which is, of course, gorgeousness ;)

Thanks babe!

Simoney  – (March 31, 2010 at 12:59 PM)  

Lovely thoughts Amy. So true. I think some of the most beautiful and fascinating women I know/have met are those who are truly beautiful on the inside. It's like you can't tear your gaze away. they radiant something intangible that gives them such a glow; it goes beyond their age, their wrinkles, their hairdo. Women like Jackie Pullinger. Wow, what a beauty she is. And JillSmith, HElen Monk, Rere Stephenson, Donna Crouch. Some of the most fascinating women I know. Age and wisdom have beautified them beyond what any cosmetic could ever claim to do. xx

PS happy 14 years!!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Copyright - Amy Lynas

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP