Leaves of Love

Underneath and in the arms of the walnut tree we played, frolicking in a green tent of light. I lay on the grass and looked up for snatches of blue between the leaves.
But instead I found the sky in the eyes of this dear little face.
This smallest sturdy and determined companion of mine is bringing me buckets of uncomplicated joy. She is so funny and cheerful, speaking beautifully. Knowing her colours, talking about her third birthday party, how she wants a red cake and candles. She smiles when she wakes up. She smiles when she goes to sleep. And she drinks at least 3 cups of rooibos tea or milo a day - being a lover of a cuppa obviously runs on both sides of the family - but her passion for the comfort of her green plastic cup bemuses me. She demands her tea and then plonks herself down to drink it, hitting the bottom of the cup produces a wail, every time, and a panicky dash to me demanding a re-fill.

And this graceful girl, caught one foot in childhood and the other in womanhood is a delight to share a home with. She is gentle, diplomatic and eager to please. I love how she still climbs trees. She articulates with astonishing insight, and her journey through anxiety and adjusting to the changes in her life is amazing to behold. This girl is sharp, in a non-pressure way, but kindly explains where I am going wrong when I mess up. That is gold, and for those of you who have daughters, it is a priceless gift when they sidle up to you and quietly set you straight.

And this imp is growing like the tree she swings in, becoming solid and dependable and hardwired to bring shade to others. She is the deep quick-witted one, who snorts in humour when she watches clever programs, but who would never make fun of anyone else. She is drawing incredibly impressive artwork at night, when its bedtime mostly, but full of such balance and colour that she blows me away with each creation. When I consider her mile long eyelashes in profile, her dark blue eyes and that freckling of caramel dust across her nose, I fall beyond the boundaries of exasperation. I remember again why it is we do what we do.

Because it is a priviledge to be a biggie on their team.

There are others who get to teach, encourage and inspire them as well.

But me? I get to hug them all first and last. I'm the one drenched in mummy-love.

Sj  – (March 5, 2010 at 11:05 PM)  

stunning photo ames. you and your girls are beauties. xx

count it all joy  – (March 5, 2010 at 11:21 PM)  

Lucky you! You and your golden-haired girls....how precious you are. Meredy xo.
p.s. hope things are improving on the health front.

sarah  – (March 6, 2010 at 6:57 AM)  

So beautiful - your girls, your words. How blessed you are to have three such darlings.

Simoney  – (March 8, 2010 at 1:11 PM)  

Beautiful Amy. I love that photo of you and the girls... Did kenzie take it?
She seems to have your talent!

Cassandra Frear  – (March 10, 2010 at 3:50 PM)  

I've enjoyed seeing these photos of your girls and reading your descriptions of them. :-)

red ticking  – (March 17, 2010 at 1:42 PM)  

darling.... you are truly blessed... xo

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Copyright - Amy Lynas

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP