They will run

Early spring sunshine played on leaf coins,


Silver dew spangled sneaker crumpled blades,

Perceptive and visually enriching art flowed from the fingers and soul of our child to our admiration as we visited her classroom before the race.

Pictures and pages awaited hungry minds,

Paintbox tints bristled in glorious remnants of their story,

Halo light shone on child-come-young-woman and her friends,

Sparkles of excitment swept in after the paroxyms of nerves had worn off,

Her chosen philosophy was to run close to her arch rival, who towered above her in size

Her determination and attitude of perserverance paid off

Her teacher drinks in her win with pride

She stated her name and place, solemn faced

I can't believe it Mum, I came first. I beat them all! I prayed....
Did you Baby? Me too...
each practice run when you came second, I knew there was the win in you.
I tried to prepare you for second or third place.
But you tried to prepare me for your first place.
She ran with grit and focus unlike the others around her.
I should know.
It is the sheer force of her will that propels her and is the metal we as parents strike with our chisels as we attempt to shape the rock of her character.
Big baby set off

Giving of your best is the only thing we have ever asked of our children.
They love to dig into this well of possibility. She ran with equal grit and did very well.
Priceless today - the kind that made me as a parent forget the pain and tear up with shaking pride at the sheer sense of wonder these little individuals stir in me as winners leaving their mark on the world.
In spite of me.


Kelly Langner Sauer  – (September 3, 2009 at 12:32 AM)  

oh, it looks like it was a wonderful experience, for all of you!

Gail  – (September 3, 2009 at 7:07 AM)  

How cool!!!! What a great day for your girls.... I love her toothless-ness... and the solemn face.

Great post Amy!

Simoney  – (September 3, 2009 at 2:12 PM)  

Lovely Amy - I love that last picture of the two spent girls. Priceless!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Copyright - Amy Lynas

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP