Sewing a Petal Pie - 1000 Gifts cont...


Seven days of colour and light. Confetti of insights fell and I lay back laughing as they landed in wishes around me. A tiny plump bird called Hope perches on the winter wood of heart-bough and sings in the new season. For behold, the winter has passed...

58. Grateful for this in the garden of a sweet friend; sugar laden and candied with the petal-pie of delight.


59. Humbled beyond words for the man who builds my life; he insisted I attend the Sistas conference, nearly dragging me to the car; taking my load as his own, sick child, his work deadlines and all. Releasing me with dignity to indulge in refreshment alone. I struggled slightly with guilt but that didn't last long! Such fun to be had!



60. For the conference time itself - for women who listen and stand, touching shoulders firm in resolution and response, to a call to be the light. Lifting the standard with arms of influence and gathering, equipped to impact and support, nurture and love.

61. For the safe arrival of Miss Annabelle Grace, my new niece. I am looking forward to meeting her in a few weeks time.

62. For children who are so geared towards the love language of physical touch that simply drawing on their backs brings an hour of quiet fun. Their daddy loves to line them up and doodle secret things that they try to guess; then follows much contortion in front of the mirror to view the inkings. I am praying this fun little pastime does not embed in them some deep seated love of artworks on skin!

63. For being a mother to girls and having at my disposal both a very polite sewing maching and years of terrifying memories of Fashion and Fabrics classes at boarding school. My teacher, through no fault of her own, stirred me to mild rebellion. Hot droning classrooms with hand-cranked singer machines made for daydreaming and squiff lines of stitching. I would get fiercely angry after having lined up at her desk to have my work squinted over for approval to be sent back in screeching shame to my machine. One vivid memory I have is of ripping seams so carelessly that I tore a handspan sized rent in the front panel of a skirt. She looked at me that day with fresh appreciation I think, for she did not yell quite so loudly after that. My mild manners had been flawed by frustration at her stickler approach to accuracy but the adult in me admires her. This week Kenzie chose both a forgiving fabric and an easy pattern for her formal dress for the end of the year and we whizzed it up in no time. So, thanks to Mrs Motsi, although I wouldn't like her to inspect my seams too closely, we sewed with love my daughter's first frock!
64. For crockpots: one of my adapted, favourite, easy family meals is a light curry that my children happily eat (well, that might be stretching it; anything that is not junk food is not a happy event in their minds).

Happy Coconut Curry

1-2 kg cubed lean meat lamb, rump steak, whatever is on special
1-2 chopped onions could be left out if offspring hate slimy bits, mine just fish them out
1 tin coconut milk i use lite
slosh of fish sauce i know, sounds gross. it isn't really, just enhances flavour
1/4 cup dessicated coconut not essential
1-2 tsp Red Curry paste (or Green) experiment with the amount, just yum it up, not make it hot
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp tumeric
1 tsp salt
1 Tbl fresh grated ginger i mostly use the kind that lives in a glass jar in the fridge door
1 cinnamon quill
Squeeze of lemon juice

Swish it all around and bang on the lid. Come back eight hours later and say hello to it with a nice steaming bowl of long grain brown rice. I serve with a fresh salad of greens and something quenching like slices of paw-paw (papaya) drizzled with thai dressing. (I make the salad early and keep a portion aside for my lunch, and cover the rest for later.)


I like this recipe because I prefer to cook meat without a tomato base. I suppose there is no reason why this would not work in a low oven, in a tightly sealed casserole dish, thickened with a a drizzle of cornflour paste at the end if necessary. I just like being out of the kitchen during the day. Reason? Helps me eat less if I'm not within an arm's reach of the pantry ;)


65. And finally, gratitude for a new week, the turn over of a fresh page. Remember the giveaway is on Saturday, I cannot wait to get a bangle off to one of you lovely readers.


sarah haliwell  – (September 14, 2009 at 6:27 PM)  

such lovely pictures, and a life truly shining with blessings.

Elouise82  – (September 15, 2009 at 2:23 AM)  

Just popping in from Holy Experience's site ... a marvelous list of blessings, and beautiful pictures as well!

deb  – (September 15, 2009 at 4:36 AM)  

as always.... incredible. And the sewing, I rebelled and took shop with the boys instead , writing a letter to the school board and everything.
And now I sew all the time. It was the first blog I found actually, for free motion quilting.
You shine LIght through here ....

Diana  – (September 15, 2009 at 6:51 AM)  

I hold similar memories of sewing at school - but I'll hand sew quickly enough to tack up a hem or re-attach buttons, so no harm done.
Deb - my sister was like you, she did woodwork at the neighbouring boys' school instead.

Amy - those petal blossoms do look good enough to eat...I think I can even smell them from here.

Cassandra Frear  – (September 17, 2009 at 5:50 AM)  

How lovely to see the way your husband loves you.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Copyright - Amy Lynas

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP