Doorkeeper

It is the day after the Sistas conference and I am processing an enriching download of illumination into simple piles. I have come home after being tossed in a soapy washing machine, flung out on a line in brisk wind and sunshine to dry and now am running my hands over the creases and wrinkles, pressing in the folds and putting away the parts of me that have been laundered.

Every message spoke loudly to me, but my processing of Charlotte's last preach is for some reason at the front of the queue.

She spoke on Doorkeeping.


She referenced David at the cave of Adullum (1 Chron 11). He had about him many many mighty, talented men who were extremely gifted (the church) but it was the actions of three individuals that made the headlines. Hearing David's utter of his longing for water in that dry place, they snuck off, through enemy lines to draw him a drink from a well. These men were not afraid to be waterboys to this new king. They were not afraid to serve and this got them mentioned highly as worthy men.

She expanded the challenge to ask whether we leap greedily through every door of opportunity, wave an airy thanks to God and shut the door behind us. Or whether we stand in the doorway, on the threshold of favour and wave others around us through, saying 'After you', thus impacting many more people.


Learning not to hold onto people or things, and not rushing through the open door of an answered dream without a backwards glance was an interesting thought. I asked myself if I would be prepared to stand on the threshold of opportunity and look back for others who I could usher in before me, even if it meant that I never went through that particular door, but was merely the doorkeeper for someone else. David's dream was to build the temple; this did not happen quite the way he had planned, but his dream, his open door of favour, paved the way for his son to fulfill this ambition. He did not get to outwork the plans that he had pored over, but he was able to resource the provisions for his son, Solomon to get the job done

Learning not to hold onto people or things, and not rushing through the open door of an answered dream without a backwards glance was an interesting thought. I asked myself if I would be prepared to stand on the threshold of opportunity and look back for others who I could usher in before me, even if it meant that I never went through that particular door, but was merely the doorkeeper for someone else. David's dream was to build the temple; this did not happen quite the way he had planned, but his dream, his open door of favour, paved the way for his son to fulfill this ambition. He did not get to outwork the plans that he had pored over, but he was able to resource the provisions for his son, Solomon to get the job done.

I know if I am honest, that I would want to go through my doors of opportunity first. I would find it hard to hang back and usher others through, who I might even feel are possibly undeserving (after all isn't this my dream?).



I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house
of my God than dwell in the tents of the wicked
Psalm 84.10

Gail  – (September 10, 2009 at 3:36 PM)  

Wow! Sounds like a powerful time Amy! That verse from Psalm 84 has popped by often in my life... I must say that I am sometimes a lurker at the doorway. Not too sure about taking the opportunity... but not wanting to let it go either...

deb  – (September 13, 2009 at 11:17 AM)  

The giving, the receiving, the serving , the beholding...
I'm always searching for the balance.

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Copyright - Amy Lynas

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP