Room 7

I am back there today.


At boarding school one quiet June afternoon, perched at small wooden desks, doing homework with my best friend in an empty classroom. He found me and quietly walked in, stack of books under one arm. Swinging over another chair to sit backwards over it and leaning over to me, he silently, in green ink, added to the graffiti of other inscriptions and carved initials onto the wood beneath my pages.

Will you go out with me?

I wished I could carry that desk out with me.


Eighteen years ago today and I am reminded that love is a choice that can outlast youth.

Sometimes I look past his suit and laptop bag, serious eyes and the weight of fatherhood and responsibility to see him as he was then. That sun bleached blonde, olive-skinned in his school uniform khakis with sparkling smile and that clowning teen mischief irrepressible in each of his steps. How grateful I am for his solid friendship and company through my awkward years of adolescence and to have that same vein of support and love through my twenties and into my thirties is a gift.

Happy 19th G.

It must be said that I have overcome extreme reluctance to post this picture.
The shoulder pads, giant glasses, mullet and general shrieks from the early nineties should not however be given permission to overwhelm the moment of our first disco memories!

GB  – (June 19, 2009 at 1:04 PM)  

You guys are soooooo 90's HOT!!!! Gorgeous post Amy! I met my Mark when I was 17years and he was 19yrs. I think young love is so beautiful.... and just grows deeper and MORE beautiful as you "grow up" together.
Looking forward to organizing our bloggers coffee in a months time! I must throw a date out there so we can lock it in!
Gailx

Guckstersa  – (June 24, 2009 at 12:07 AM)  

Goodness Amy, this brings back many memories, not just of you and Greg, but your description of the classroom is so accurate - I almost felt that I was back there! Awesome!

Post a Comment

About This Blog

Copyright - Amy Lynas

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP